Friday, January 29, 2010

Save Kreg SML-F125-1000 1 1/4-Inch No. 7 Fine Pocket Hole Screws with Pan-Head, 1000-Pack


I'll start by saying I'm a home hobbyist, and my projects are getting more and more complex as I go along. I've used mortise and tenon joinery for most of my furniture to this point, and any DIYer knows how difficult it is to make these joints perfect. I had bought a Kreg jig a few months ago but hadn't used it yet. I am in the middle of making a dresser out of solid cherry and poplar, and one of my dust frames (with mortise and tenon joints) ended up twisted and unusable. I decided to redo it with pocket hole joinery.

And boy am I glad I did! It took about 1/10 the time (probably less), and using the jig was so much easier than I was expecting. The frame is absolutely perfectly straight. The joints are flush and strong (I still use glue...sorry, I trust Norm Abram). Will I ever use mortise and tenons again? Well, probably, but only on a through-tenon or one where the joint will be visible. Otherwise, I'm sticking with pocket holes. I love the self-tapping screws and pan head. If you're on the fence about getting one, get one. The price is right ($12 for 1000 screws...that's about a penny each!) and even the basic jig is only $30 or $40. GET IT.

Get more detail about Kreg SML-F125-1000 1 1/4-Inch No. 7 Fine Pocket Hole Screws with Pan-Head, 1000-Pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment